The list below is shamelessly stolen from a terrific HBR article, which is filled with insight and detail (definitely worth reading).
- Don’t underestimate the importance of likability.
- Help them understand why you deserve what you’re requesting.
- Make it clear they can get you.
- Understand the person across the table.
- Understand their constraints.
- Be prepared for tough questions.
- Focus on the questioner’s intent, not on the question.
- Consider the whole deal.
- Negotiate multiple issues simultaneously, not serially.
- Don’t negotiate just to negotiate.
- Think through the timing of offers.
- Avoid, ignore, or downplay ultimatums of any kind.
- Remember, they’re not out to get you.
- Stay at the table.
- Maintain a sense of perspective.
Here’s a video discussing these ideas in more detail:
Click here to read all the detail and insight in the HBR article.